Indiana dating site
A huge 45-acre shipyard complex was constructed on the riverfront east of St.
Joseph Avenue for the production of oceangoing LSTs (Landing Ship-Tanks).
Railroads eventually became more important and in 1887 the L&N Railroad constructed a bridge across the Ohio River.
along with a major rail yard southwest of Evansville in a town, Howell, which was annexed in 1916 and completed the city's counterclockwise march around the horseshoe bend.
The population was 117,429 at the 2010 census, making it the state's third-most populous city after Indianapolis and Fort Wayne, the largest city in Southern Indiana, and the 232nd-most populous city in the United States.
It is the commercial, medical, and cultural hub of Southwestern Indiana and the Illinois-Indiana-Kentucky tri-state area, home to over 911,000 people.
Other local educational institutions include nationally ranked Signature School and the Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library.
In 2008, Evansville was voted the best city in the country in which "to live, work, and play" by the readers of Kiplinger, and in 2009 the 11th best. Following the abandonment of Angel Mounds between the years 14, tribes of Miami, Shawnee, Piankeshaw, Wyandot, Delaware and other Native American peoples were known to be in the area.
By the time the Wabash and Erie Canal was finished in 1853, Evansville's first railroad, Evansville & Crawfordsville Railroad, was opened to Terre Haute.
With steamboats, less of a factor in the local economy, city, and federal officials responded to the flood with about fifty years of levee construction that penned and hid the Ohio River behind a barrier of earthen berms and concrete walls.
During World War II, Evansville was a major center of industrial production and, as a result, it helped wipe away the lingering effects of the Great Depression.
Evansville's west side was for many years cut off from the city's main part by Pigeon Creek and the factories that made the creek an industrial corridor.
The land comprising the former town of Lamasco was platted in 1837 and was annexed in 1870.